Saturday, 19 September 2009

What a Week!

On Tuesday, I stewarded at the Cathedral and it was completely transformed! Sting was scheduled to record a television programme and the whole place was full of cameras, lights, etc., and technicians setting up and rehearsing. It made it very difficult for visitors to get round although they were able to see everything. I showed a group of Americans round and they were very appreciative and were as interested in all the techno stuff as in the building themselves. There were a few grumbles from people but mostly everyone was understanding and accepted the situation. On my way home I had an accident; I was just about to step off the bus when I turned my ankle and pitched forward on to the pavement. I bruised both knees and wrenched my arm which had been holding on to the handrail. I felt such a fool, sitting on the pavement with everyone on the bus gawping at me. I managed to hobble home but I was badly shaken up and sorry for myself. However, I was able to go to work that evening, which was good as I was meeting a new student. I do private tuition and my new student is an Italian pharmacist who is working in Newcastle and wants English lessons. She must have thought I was pretty decrepit, hobbling about, but next week I hope to be back to normal.
I have taken things fairly easy since because everything stiffened up and moving has been a slow and painful business. I'm covered in enormous purple bruises; very artistic! Besides, I didn't want to miss Sting's concert. I was one of the stewards chosen to man the concert on Friday night; there was also a concert on Thursday. They have both been recorded and are going to be shown at Christmas. My job was to welcome the invited guests and direct them to the different points where they could collect their tickets. Once everyone was seated we stewards were able to sit at the back and enjoy the show. It was BRILLIANT! Sting sang a mixture of folk songs, hymns, classical, his own compositions - all on the theme of winter and Christmas. He was accompanied by a chamber orchestra, Durham choristers, Northumbrian pipers. The music was beautiful and the lighting was marvellous. Because we were at the back, we couldn't really see the performers so we were better able to appreciate the effect of the lighting on the stonework and carving of the Cathedral. I've never seen anything so magical.
Tomorrow, Ian and I are going to Chester-le-Street to watch the final one-day international between England and Australia. We're meeting up with our sons and daughters-in-law and going as a family which will be fun. Our son, Paul, is a physio so he can take a look at my ankle and arm at the same time and do some judicious prodding and poking.

No comments:

Post a Comment